Sunday, January 03, 2010

In a Windy Winter Night

On the heels of a day mundane,
   another night has put its feet --
'cause dies down every fire there is,
   and a chill replaces its heat.
   And left behind are some bones, some ashes
      of memories, and mere dark stains, --
   to be scattered in time by winds harsh, and
      washed away by years of incessant rains.

The night has brought the struggle back,
   to rein in my thoughts stray, however vain --
thoughts do come, what're they if not hungry lions,
   and its hard to stop'em, from coming out of their den.
   Trapped between the jaws of those beasts
      should I give up, be a prey, writhing, --
   or play a tyrant I must, kills his own subjects
      who, and doesn't even feel a thing?

And by the window, against the wall,
   lie the vast plains of my bed --
quiet and empty, it resembles a Pharsalus
   and surely its' perfectly made.
   Flee from the encounter I can,
      condemn myself if I just, to the chair, --
   But punish the innocent clay if I,
      the struggle will be anything but fair.

So I go to this bed of mine, seeking
   subsequent glories, comforts coveted --
under the blanket, lose if I were to,
   at least the conflict may stay veiled.
   And just about the time when I,
      having won, was to fall asleep, --
   appears is a dagger unseen, of cold,
      and slashes me repeatedly, deep.

Though the cuts were deep but no more
   than those piercing words of theirs(/*yours*/) can reach --
I canvass the surroundings of my room,
   for the probable point of breach.
   True, walls you can raise against your foes,
      but what fort can hold its head high, --
   when the traitors are the sentries themselves,
      and the words are just words, from a disguise.

A mere look around was all it costed,
   to find the window with a missing glass --
only a paper I had, I tried to paste, except,
   when bronze is the need, doesn't work a brass.
   Stubborn was I, and I persisted,
      another lesson was to be learned, --
   irritated, I completely opened the window
      though this is not what i had yearned.

And outside, blows such a cold wind,
   and persists the darkness stark --
shivering are the dogs, or have,
   some reasons beyond their bark.
   Unaware of this all, was a flutter of moths,
      overjoyed, as they had a perfect host, --
   singing and dancing in the dim light of
      a distant, and warm old lamppost.

Maybe it was the sublimity of the lamppost,
   I got all the warmth I needed --
I slipped into my bed again, and
   the cries of old wounds went unheeded.
   Quiet have become things now,
      maybe subsided has their pain, --
   but those dogs will howl again, unless,
      the warm light of a lamppost they gain.

And perhaps, the next night when it comes,
   the cold will remain as before, dense --
and unclear may remain the path,
   laid down for me to embark. --
   But I've hope, for my warm lamppost,
      and for things to reveal their sense,
   then free of my borrowed crutches at last,
      I won't be creeping, I will proudly walk.

7 comments:

  1. Rajeev... I enjoyed every line of ur poem. It is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanku :)
    But kuch toh aur point out karo jidhar improvement ki zaroorat hai...then it will be a feedback :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. well m nt expert in poem or any kind of literary expert bt will still try to comment smthng useful.....first of all awesome poem dude enjoy it alot. Hmmm lonely winter night....nothing can described the waltz of thoughts in more beautiful manner( mind it i havnt read many poems:p)....and for a change like the warmth of hope at the end of poem:)
    Beautiful work bhai:)
    In the 5th para 2nd line... than those piercing words of yours can reach ...little bit confusing as form start to end poem felt like of a person having his reflection on his life (just like Rajesh Khanna of Anand:P) but suddenly out of the context this words of yours appears giving feeling of some third person rather than personal one......bap re bahut technical ho gaya hope u dont mind...u always ask me to give sm comments bla bla so smtime i had to read ur poem as one of verbal section problem :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all...thanks a lot for reading it properly(then only you can have a doubt...) :)

    Now, if you go a bit more into the details then you may get an idea of the analogy...let me just give a hint.

    Look for the importance of "Pharsalus"(3rd stanza). If you know that, then 3rd,4th and 5th stanzas will be clear.

    "Though the cuts were deep but no more than those piercing words of yours can reach"...it just shows the contempt towards the cold...this cold is nothing compared to the coldness("those piercing words") humans can show...and everyone has his/her own Brutus.

    Lemme know if this helped...otherwise I would be happy to explain, and explanation can be given only to the worthy(who puts at least some effort) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I am consoling/telling myself that this cold can't match the coldness that you(my Brutus) can impart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...well i dont have much idea abut Pharsalus i just knw it was war let me read more abut it then i will comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK boss...as per our discussion, I'm changing "yours" to "theirs". And this choice of word makes more sense.

    Thanks a lot for that lengthy discussion, and for being a good critic. :)

    ReplyDelete

If not here then where...? If not now then when...?